August 31 - Knust, Hamburg

I can't get this tooth rot off my face.

Hamburg is proof that a fun live show trumps an off day on the road.  Morning came a bit early at the Malmo hostel.  Due to a 7 Euro breakfast of fucking cereal and toast, and an inability to Skype my girlfriend, I was a pissy meatball.  We crossed the thirtysomething Euro bridge again and like a bitchy vampire I put a hoodie over the passenger window.  No beauty sleep?  Then no beauty lucidity!

I do like ferries.  It reminds me of when I lived on cruise ship doing silly comedy.  Freestyle cruisin'!  Unfortunately on this ferry ride to Germany, the grumpy man at the duty free shop wanted me to produce a ticket to purchase cigarettes; a ticket I didn't have and a ticket the long line behind me did not want me to produce.
I used the f-word in his general direction.  Like a catty Americanish dumkoff.  

So I got some ghoulash stew and a Tuborg and stared at the Baltic Sea.  When the ferry docked in Germany, I remained spaced out in a cranky stupor.  The corridor led to the auto lot, which was a blur of cars leaving for Germany, including our van!  So I ran in traffic after it and a man in a yellow vest stopped me, yelling and gesturing.  I was stuck on the ferry bound back for Denmark.  Panicked, I ran around the boat for what seemed an eternity until I found another staircase leading to the cargo area and escaped that way.

The Bitter Tears were all waiting for me on the side of road, except for Greg who was also still on the ferry.  I later learned that he had gone back on the boat to look for me.
I am the world's greatest drummer.


We arrived in Hamburg hungry and a bit beat only to get lost looking for the club.  
Knust is located just across the street from an old Nazi bunker that now holds outdoor performances on its roof.  Eventually it was found and I got to Skype my girlfriend, take a nap on a mic stand chest, and eat steak and potatoes with the band and Norbert, the gracious club owner.

The show went very well.  
Based on advice given to us by the Jasons in Magnolia, we duct-taped our passports to our bodies.  The crowd was fun, receptive, and with some prodding talked back.  Greg closed "The Companion" by pronouncing "Hamburg" through his trombone.  The Hamburgers have been kind, and thanks to a T-shirt purchased for Esther by Magnolia(!), they purchased merch.  Based on our set, Norbert decided to pick up our hostel for the night.  Norbert is the best!

We are curious about the Reeperbahn but heard it is a boring and full of Deutsch-bags 
and Americanish dumkoffs.  Sounds like I'll be going there!

No comments:

Post a Comment