March 13 - Basement 414, Lansing, MI

Friday the 13th in the capitol of the Great Lake State.  Basement 414: a peculiar little basin, collecting curious leftie teens and their single speed bikes who communicate in musical meows.  They had a popcorn machine, art, and a girl making Sharpie murals in the bathroom.  Plus a nice stash of antique computers, stuff that took me back to Lemonade and Hurkle and Oregon Trail.  To these kids they might as well have been phonographic dictating machines.  I felt old, but not in a shitty way.  I'm glad I got to live in an era when people used those things.
Greg noticed a piano on wheels in the back room.  "Hannukah" opened our set, with John on rolling, spinning piano, Mike and Greg on singing, rolling and spinning, me on hovering and tambourine, and Alan on rant.  It was fun.

Another quiet set.  We're getting better at playing this way.  As a Keith Moon-wannabe
 drummer it's something I haven't done too much of.  It's a challenge I am currently enjoying, and allowed me to hear John's new piano line in "Stumper."

I wore a green nehru skirt and tried the tooth decay polish for the first time.  It tastes something awful and specks up all over your tongue.  Between that and the wig strands my mouth has become a polluted port town beach.

Greg had a funny improvised Henny Youngman joke about ghost breasts.  Alan did lots of wriggle dancing and wouldn't allow compliments to the audience.  Mike's been playing his upright with a strap lately, resembling a junior high jazz bassist in a carnival mirror.  We extended "Moline" in the instrumental breaks.

We played with Red Swan and a fun Victim of Time band.  Before us was a trio of teens who did a psych-jazz stoner-metal thing that sounds better than that horrible label.  
Ooh, maybe I am getting old in a shitty way.

No comments:

Post a Comment