March 19 - Nocturnal, Memphis, TN

What was once Memphis' storied punk dive The Antenna Club is now Nocturnal. After load-in with the trailer on the sidewalk, we hit Tops BBQ by the hospital for some pork 'n' beans 'n' slaw 'n' chips.  Nocturnal sight-seeing followed as we drove past the obligatory Beale Street and Sun Studios. With a decade-old memory Mike navigated us to The Arcade Restaurant, an old Elvis haunt, and The Lorraine Motel, an old James Earl Ray haunt.

Too soon?
Still? Okay.
The night at Nocturnal began with The Family Ghost, who played pointy guitars and glockenspiel under subdued Built to Spill beats. The singer reminded me of the guy who does Brian Wilson's falsettos for him these days.

The Bitter Tears played a good set to a polite but decidedly indifferent crowd.
Move, Memphis! Move! Something's a-happening!
Okay don't.

It reminded me of photographs from 60's rock 'n' roll shows where a Kinks or a Who or an Animals would be jumping around at full volume, and the audience would clap passively from their seats.  Mike said it was like playing to a painting of an audience.

Nevertheless we had fun. I was very pretty in my pink sleeveless nightie with blue eye shadow, rouge, long platinum locks, tooth rot, and a classy 10-pound chain with the letter T duct-taped to a padlock.

Immediately after our set the sound man blared Slayer.  This time from Reign In Blood.  I wonder if it has something to do with how pretty we looked that night. 

It was the first show for Textile, an exploratory band in a jagged guitar and time signature jungle, the band that the docile kids came to see. Still no movement.  Even with the mic'ed glockenspiel.
Okay, Memphis. You win. We'll pose for the portrait.

Afterward the owner of the club, Doug, a hospitable southern man in flannel, told us about its history and led us to a back room. Its cement walls were covered in an executioner mural painted by pro wrestler Jerry Lawler. Mike signed the wall.
"Date it," demanded Doug politely.

Robert from The Family Ghost and his lady put us up in a Jay Reatard Wet Dream apartment crammed with analog keyboards and antiquated recording gear. We recorded a soon-to-be-out-of-print 7" and vanished in a puff of kitty litter.  
Not really.  
I got up early and ripped a Pinebender CD from Robert's great record collection.
Ugh.  I just realized we left without giving Robert one of our records.  What a bunch of douchebags.  Us.

The Arcade Restaurant provided a fried peanut butter & banana sandwich for breakfast.  We thought about assassinating someone near the Lorraine Motel but decided against it.

Still too soon?
Okay, Memphis.

4 comments:

  1. Hey guys, it's Mary Beth (Robert's lady). We wanted to thank you for coming to Memphis and you oughta come back sometime! Sorry we were so poorly equipped to host you...this always happens; people come by from out of town so rarely to play with Robert's band that I forget every time it DOES happen I have to set things up for a sleepover. My apologies and compliments for your ability to suck it up and handle staying with us. But it was fun for us...

    As for Memphis not moving an inch, have you played Pittsburgh?!! Good luck! THOSE are the most sedate show goers I've ever been amongst. Nary a head bob.

    I wish I had known you guys were in Buffalo shortly prior. I'm from Rochester and had many friends attend school in Buffalo, and am terribly jealous you got to have hot wings recently.

    If you come back sometime you oughta try Payne's or Hephzibah's barbecue/smoked meat, if you haven't. And Gus' fried chicken. And go to Stax museum!! It's the best. You can't go wrong with the Arcade though, granted.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guys,
    This is Matt, one of the docile kids. You're right, the audience was extremely apathetic, and I'm sorry about that. I think you took us all totally by surprise... I know it took me a few songs to realize the hilarity of what I was seeing. I thought you were awesome and several of my friends agreed. My favorite moments were "Moline" and "Inbred Kings," especially the final group a capella chorus. I bought your new record from Alan and I am listening to it right now. Great stuff; I hope I get to see you guys again sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary Beth,

    Hey! Thank you for putting us up. All that gear was amazing. You could spend a whole day or week lost in it. Or year.

    I feel bad about not leaving behind a CD, and ripping the Pinebender CD. I didn't want to wake you.

    Please send us your address so we can give you a CD or vinyl:
    tony.a.mendoza (at) gmail.com

    Thank you again,
    tony

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Matt,

    This blog is just for fun and I'm glad you had some of it, too.
    We'll be back.

    tony

    ReplyDelete